HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOVELLY COURT

List Entry Number: 1165390

Location

CLOVELLY COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon
District: Torridge
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Clovelly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91151


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLOVELLY CLOVELLY COURT SS 32 SW

5/79 Clovelly Court

22.1.52 - II

Large detached Country house. 1740 for Zachary Hamlyn, altered by Sir James Hamlyn 1795; interior severely damaged by fire c1950. Panel above doorway reads: 'Antiqua Domus Conflagrata AD 1789 Aedem Hanc Anno Sequente Susceptam Extruit JACOBUS HAMLYN Baronettus. Mainly rubble, but wing smooth rendered, slate roofs. A classical design in simple detail with some Gothick later works; a long 3-storey plus attic hipped block returns to a broad 3-storey unit with octagonal stair turrets projecting from the two outer corners. The two units are linked in the inner angle by a gatehouse or entrance tower also with half-octagonal stair turrets. Entrance through door at base of gatehouse, under lean-to roof on cambered opening; above this a plaque reading: a two-light stone casement with cusped pointed light and a baroque cartouche. The left turret has two lancets and the right two lancets and a 2-light casement. The principal block, smooth rendered, with hipped roof has a 2+2 window principal front with 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors, and small-pane Yorkshire sliding sashes to the second floor. Right hand turret with 3 small lights vertically, both turrets with hipped slated cappings. The link back to the entrance tower is in 3 windows, 12 above 15 pane sashes. Long front facing the walled garden (q.v.) has one bay rendered with 12-pane sash; this continues to an unrendered section with 3-windows, 12-pane sashes at ground floor, two 2-light casements and a small sash at eaves, then an added block to swept down roof. Plain return gable end towards church. Return front, on entrance side, has scattered fenestration, mainly 2-light small pane casements, but one larger, one 12-pane sash, and a large 24-pane sash. Plank door towards right. Straight joint in masonry at half-way point corresponding with ridge stack; a second ridge stack, and one to right hipped end, all in brick. High-set hipped dormer with sash. At left end a projecting section of wall with swept down roof. Flight of 5 very shallow steps in quadrant and rubble wall to either side containing stone terrace. Interior: not inspected but understood to be much modified as result of C20 fire damage.

Listing NGR: SS3102125156


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: SS 31011 25145


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:41:15.